Thursday, January 25, 2007

A second school visit


I was lucky enough to be invited back to talk to the children of Discovery Class at St Peter's school in Chippenham, and was made very welcome by 27 excitable four and five year olds and their lovely teacher, my sister-in-law Tamsyn. I persuaded her to pose for a photo.


I told the children about the process of illustrating my two picture books, Three Stre-e-etchy Frogs and Rainbow Frogs, then we read the stories and I answered the children's questions before they drew their own versions of one of the pages.

It was great fun to walk around the class and to see their drawings in progress, some of the children faithfully reproduced the red, green and blue frogs mentioned in the text, jumping away from the alligator, but some had obviously been thinking laterally. One little girl had drawn a family of happy penguins sharing the frogs' pond and one little boy had decided to ignore the froggy theme and had chosen to draw some colourful Transformers instead!

The classroom walls were full of the children's photos, drawings and paintings.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sara Garrard said...

Wow i bet that was great fun, actually seeing kids reading, drawing and learning from your books!

Hope your well becky!

Sara x

Monday, 29 January, 2007  
Blogger Sara Garrard said...

P.S
I would recomend S 'n' B Meets they are good laugh and the nights without needles are good too! I talk too much tho that i get no knitting done - i've been making my scarf for a year now!

My friend Dorret started it off in the UK her website is www.knitknack.co.uk
and she runs the official UK S 'n' B website which is www.stichnbitch.co.uk and you can find your local group there or start one up!

Monday, 29 January, 2007  
Blogger Becky said...

Hi Sara, it was a really good day, I loved seeing the childrens' reactions to the books and they had some great questions too. It was such fun, I'm going to look into what I'd need to do to train as an art teacher I think.

Thanks for the Stitch n Bitch info too, it does sound like fun, your scarf will be very impressive (and possibly very, very long) when you're done!

I like the hat patterns on Dorret's site, think I'll have a go at one of those, right, just need a pub and some other people with needles to come along too!

Tuesday, 30 January, 2007  
Blogger Sara Garrard said...

oooh Becky i have a lot of info on becoming an art teacher cos i looked into it last year to see what was available, its on my home computer so i will forward to you when i get back!

Tuesday, 30 January, 2007  
Blogger Becky said...

Wow Sara you are a star, thankyou very much!

Tuesday, 30 January, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home