Wednesday, January 11, 2006

planning for my first school visit

I'm off on my first school visit on the 20th, only just over a week away yikes, I'd better get to work deciding what to say to Mrs. Wallis' class at St. Peters school in Chippenham, Wiltshire. The similarity of the teacher's name to mine is no coincidence, Tamsyn's married to my baby brother and over Christmas she collared me to arrange a date to visit. I'm hoping her class of 4 and 5 olds won't be too tough a crowd.

I've always intended to visit schools and discuss my work with the children, but have never quite got around to it. I'll take my trusty laptop and graphics tablet to hook up to their fancy 'interactive whiteboard', no more dull ol' blackboards like in my day. Crikey, now I feel old. I'll also take along some of my books produced for Dingles and Company. I illustrated ten books for the Community of Counting series and twelve for the Holiday Happenings series. Both series were published in English and bilingual English/Spanish versions.

I'll finally be able to show someone how completely over the top I went with the detail in some of the illustrations for these books.



Barbie the art director wanted the images to be at a very high resolution, 900 dots per inch, so she could choose and enlarge elements of the design at a later stage. This meant I could 'zoom in' to a ridiculous degree and add things like a highlight in the pupil of a spider's eye. In the final printed book 'Number Ten - Where is the Hen?' the spider itself was only just visible if peered at very, very closely.

Hm, think I could've saved myself a lot of time there.



I'm looking forward to seeing what questions the children have for me, hm I'd better do some homework before I go so I can come up with some answers for them.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gretel said...

'The highlight in the pupil of a spider's eye' sounds like the name of an avant garde jazz funk band!

Wednesday, 18 January, 2006  
Blogger Becky said...

He he, you're not wrong. Wanna be in my band pg? I bagsy the triangle.

Wednesday, 18 January, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home